Great Crosby, Lancashire Genealogy
Great Crosby was created a chapelry in 1749 from, and lying within Sefton, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Historically a part of Lancashire, Great Crosby was a small village of Viking origin until the arrival of the railway in the 1840s. The village grew rapidly during the late 19th and early 20th century and merged with a number of distinct areas with their own character, to form the Great Crosby urban district.The Great Crosby urban district annexed Little Crosby in 1932. In 1937, the district was combined with the Waterloo with Seaforth urban district to form the municipal borough of Crosby which was in turn was absorbed into the new Metropolitan Borough of Sefton on 1 April 1974. These boundary changes defined the town of Crosby in its modern borders and shrank down the modern area of Great Crosby from the old urban district, making it an area of the modern town of Crosby which today is a separate area of Crosby to Blundellsands, Brighton-le-Sands, and Thornton.
St Luke's church was built in 1853 by the architect A.E.Holme and consecrated By the Bishop of Chester on 26 December 1853. It replaced the earlier chapel of St Michael Great Crosby
Prior to the creation of the Diocese of Liverpool the parish was within the Chester Diocese.
The modern parish of St Luke is in the Sefton Deanery of the Diocese of Liverpool.
"CROSBY, GREAT, a chapelry, in the parish of Sefton, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles north by west of Liverpool. The chapel, dedicated to St. Luke, in about 1749.
A Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to St. Peter was built in 1826."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Great Crosby chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Sefton to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|GREAT CROSBY ST LUKE Chapelry (1749) Indexes|
|SEFTON ST HELEN PARISH (1597) Indexes (ancient parish containing GREAT CROSBY Chapelry)|
|FS||1598-1855||1600-1603, 1616-1642, 1659-1840||1783-1899|
|LOPC||1597-1780, 1783-1856||1600-1783, 1813-1884||1783-1899|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Great Crosby and comprising the whole ancient parish of Sefton to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the SEFTON ST HELEN PARISH page.
Bishop's transcripts for Seaforth, Great Crosby, and Waterloo
Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
Seaforth, Great Crosby and Waterloo are chapelries in the parish of Sefton, Lancashire.
Baptisms, 1840, 1855-1859, 1873-1877 (Seaforth); baptisms, 1749-1869 and burials, 1854-1869 (Great Crosby); baptisms 1841-1847, 1868- 1870 and marriages, 1870 (Waterloo). FHL BRITISH Film 1468974 Item 2
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306905.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 733-737. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50907 Adapted. Date accessed: 29 June 2010.