Greene County, Virginia Genealogy
|Greene County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
Northern Virginia county in the Piedmont region.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Greene County Courthouse
P.O. Box 386
Standardsville, VA 22973-0386
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records 1853-1896
and 1912-1919, death records 1838-1860
marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1838
The county is named after Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene (1742-1786).
- Lost census: 1890
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Greene County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Greene County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
Several genealogies have been published about Greene County families. To view a list, visit Greene County, Virginia Genealogy.
Grants and Patents
- Hudgins. 13 patents dated 1722-1761 in what is now Greene County, Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Eastern District, Greene County on pages 130-131.]
War of 1812
- Douthat, James L. Roster of War of 1812, Southside, Virginia. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2007. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. FHL Collection 975.5 M2djL. [Includes Greene County.]
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Greene County, p. 82. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Regiments. Service men in Greene County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Greene County, Virginia Genealogy:
- - 7th Battalion, Virginia Infantry, Local Defense (1st Nitre Battalion) (Confederate). Company F.
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Greene County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1968):106-107. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
Indexes to Greene County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
Beth Fridley has published abstracts of Greene County, Virginia birth records online at Ancestry:
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1853-1871 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1872-1878 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1879-1887 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1888-1896 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Greene Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greene County, Virginia. Page 714 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- David F. Riggs, 7th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1982). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 3.