Greene County, Virginia Genealogy
Northern Virginia county in the Piedmont region.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county is named after Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene (1742-1786).
- Lost census: 1890
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Fitzgerald] Hudgins, Dennis Ray. Fitzgerald & Jarrell Families: Orange, Madison, Culpeper, Greene Co. Virginia. MSS., microfilmed 1991. FHL Collection 1597899 Item 11
- [Jarrell] Hudgins, Dennis Ray. Fitzgerald & Jarrell Families: Orange, Madison, Culpeper, Greene Co. Virginia. MSS., microfilmed 1991. FHL Collection 1597899 Item 11
- [Miller] Miller, James Boyce and Robert Braxton Miller. The Miller Family of Orange/Greene Counties, Virginia. Richmond, Va.: R.B. Miller, [1995?]. FHL Collection 929.273 M612mjb
Grants and Patents
- Hudgins. 13 patents dated 1722-1761 in what is now Greene County, Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Eastern District, Greene County on pages 130-131.]
War of 1812
- Douthat, James L. Roster of War of 1812, Southside, Virginia. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2007. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. FHL Collection 975.5 M2djL. [Includes Greene County.]
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Greene County, p. 82. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Greene County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1968):106-107. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
Beth Fridley has published abstracts of Greene County, Virginia birth records online at Ancestry:
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1853-1871 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1872-1878 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1879-1887 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1888-1896 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).