Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Greenup County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Greenup County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 12, 1803|
- 1 Greenup County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Greenup County Kentucky History
- 3 Greenup County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Bible
- 4.3 Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Obituaries
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy References
Greenup County Kentucky Courthouse
Greenup County Kentucky History
Greenup County Kentucky Places/Localities
Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
CemeteriesKentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Greenup County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Greenup Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Greenup County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Greenup County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Greenup County Cemeteries KY Archives Project
- Greenup County Kentucky USGenWeb-Cemeteries
For tips on accessing Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
GenealogyBuff.com, Kentucky, Greenup County, Miscellaneous Obituaries (Scroll down the page to locate desired entries)
Greenup County Obituaries, KY Archives Project
Probate records are held by the Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1822-1949 - Will Books 2 to 14 (1822-1949) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1859 - Greenup County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517421 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Greenup County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517422 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Greenup County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517423 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Greenup County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517421 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Greenup County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517424 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Greenup County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517425 at FamilySearch - free.
- Greenup County Kentucky USGenWeb-Marriage Records
Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Family History Library Catalog
- Greenup County Kentucky Archives Project
- Greenup County, KY Genealogy Forum
- Greenup County Kentucky USGenWeb
- Greenup County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Greenup County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greenup County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.