Gregg County, Texas Genealogy
|Gregg County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||April 12, 1873|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Gregg County has had three courthouses. The first courthouse, built in part with native sandstone from nearby Methvin Hill, was designed by F. E. Ruffini and completed in 1879. The second courthouse was built of red brick in 1897 on the site of the 1879 courthouse. The current courthouse was built in 1932.
Gregg County Courthouse
Connie Wade - County Clerk
101 E. Methvin, Suite 200
Longview, TX 75601
Inventory of the County Archives of Texas : Gregg County, 1940. Inventory of records housed in the Gregg County Courthouse as of 1937. Describes the records of the County Commissioners Court, County Clerk as Recorder, District Courts, County Court, Justice of the Peace Courts, Criminal District Attorney, Sheriff, Constables, Tax Assessor-Collector, Board of Equalization, County Treasurer, County Auditor, County Board of School Trustees, County School Superintendent, County Surveyor, County Health Officer, and Board of Managers of County Hospital. Digital book online from The Portal to Texas History.
Settlement started around 1838.
1873--Gregg County was created 12 April 1873 from Rusk and Upshur Counties. The Texas legislature planned to call the new county Roanoke, but during passage of the legislation the name was changed to Gregg, in honor of Confederate war hero John B. Gregg. County seat: Longview 
1874 -- Gregg County was extended southward to take in a portion of northern Rusk County by act of legislature, 30 Apr 1874.
Places / Localities
Clarksville City | Easton (partly in Rusk County) | Elderville (partly in Rusk County) | Gladewater (partly in Upshur County) | Judson | Kilgore (partly in Rusk County) |Lakeport | Liberty City | Longview (partly in Harrison County) |Shiloh | Warren City (partly in Upshur County) | White Oak
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
- Gregg County Real Estate Index 1977-2011 from the Gregg County Clerk's Office.
- Gregg County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Gregg County History 1800s-1900s from the Gregg County Government Website.
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
1914 Map of Angelina, Gregg, Harrison, Cherokee, Houston, Nacogdoches, Panola, Rusk, San Augustine, Shelby, Smith & Trinity at www.rootsweb.com
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Gregg County Birth Index from the Gregg County Clerk's Office
- Gregg County Death Index from the Gregg County Clerk's Office
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Gregg County Marriage Index from the Gregg County Clerk's Office
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records
- Texas Escapes: Gregg County Courthouses http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Longview/Gregg-County-Courthouse-Longview-Texas.htm#1879
- Handbook of Texas online: Gregg County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcg10
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handbook of Texas Online: Gregg County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcg10