Grimsargh, Lancashire Genealogy
Grimsargh was created a chapel of ease in 1717, lying within the parish boundaries of Preston St Wilfrid, Lancashire Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Elston, Brockholes, and Brockhole.
The town formed a parish in 1875 within the area known as Brockholes, which became one part of the much larger Amounderness hundred, in which Preston was also included.
Oliver Cromwell's Roundhead army came through Grimsargh en route to what is now Walton-le-Dale in Preston, on what became known as the Battle of Preston on 17 August 1648.
The name Grimsargh is said to derive from an Old Norse name Grímr with Norse erg. One reference lists it as coming from the Domesday Book's Grimesarge, "at the temple of Grimr" (a name for Odin).
Grimsargh St Michael was restored in 1868 at a cost of £3,000, defrayed by the Rev. Canon John Cross. The register dates from the year 1854.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"GRIMSARGH, with Brockholes, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles northeast of Preston. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, was consecrated in 1726."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Grimsargh chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Preston St John to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|GRIMSARGH ST MICHAEL Chapelry (1875) Indexes|
|PRESTON ST JOHN PARISH (1609) Indexes (ancient parish containing GRIMSARGH Chapelry)|
|FS||1611-1635, 1732, 1767-1792, 1795-1900||1611-1631, 1654-1704, 1729-1906||1731-1732, 1763-1792, 1795-1946|
|LOPC||1753-1770, 1776-1825, 1828-1861, 1863-1932||1611-1635, 1726-1839, 1841-1847, 1868-1902||1753-1770, 1775-1792, 1795-1827, 1858-1861, 1864-1872|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Grimsargh and comprising the whole ancient parish of Preston St John to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the PRESTON ST JOHN PARISH page.
Parish registers Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
Title board of item 27 is incorrect. It should read item 28.
Contains marriages and banns 1875-1900; register of preachers, offertory and communicants 1898-1900.
Grimsargh is a chapelry in the parish of Preston.
Parish registers FHL BRITISH Film 1471019 Items 28-30
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 340-343. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50991 Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.