Grundy County, Missouri Genealogy
Guide to Grundy County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Grundy County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 29, 1841|
|Address|| Grundy County Courthouse|
700 Main Street
Trenton, MO 64683
Grundy County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death records 1881-1890;
County Recorder has marriage, divorce and land records;
Probate office has probate records
See an interactive map of Grundy County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. Joseph, Trenton
- 1872-1876 - St. Joseph, Trenton, Baptism Index 1872-1876. Batch C511501 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1882 - St. Joseph, Trenton, Marriage Index 1870-1882. Batch M511501 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Grundy County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
The History of Grundy County, Missouri an encyclopedia of useful information, and a compendium... (1881) is available online free from Google Books.
- Map of Grundy County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Grundy County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Grundy County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Archives of The Chillicothe Constitution Tribune (1889-2009) provides free access to their newspapers online. Their newspapers covered local news that included residents from Grundy County communities.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1847-1873 - Grundy County Birth Index 1847-1873. Batch C546511 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1847-1893 - Grundy County Birth Index 1847-1893. Batch C546512 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867 - Grundy County Birth Index 1867. Batch C515132 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Grundy County Birth Index 1875. Batch C515131 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1841-1885 - Grundy County Marriage Books A and 1 thru 3 Index 1841-1885. Batch M515132 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Grundy County, Missouri. Page 400 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "Felix Grundy," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.