Guernsey Church Records
St Peter Port:
The Town Church: Baptisms from 1563; Marriages from 1565; Burials from 1566
St Peter Port: Later Parishes (created when the Town Church was no longer big enough)
St Johns: Baptisms from 1840 - Marriages from 1858
St Stephens: Baptisms, Marriages and Burials from 1865
Holy Trinity: Baptisms from 1847 - Marriages from 1858 - Burials from 1858
Other Miscellaneous Registers: The Marriage Chapel at St James-the-Less; Marriages 1915-1970
Candie Cemetery: Burials 1847-1986
Vale: Baptisms, Marriages and Burials from 1577
St Pierre-du-Bois: Baptisms, Marriages and Burials from 1625
Castel: Baptisms, Marriages and Burials from 1674
Castel: St Matthews: Baptisms from 1854 - Marriages and Burials from 1855
St Sampson: Baptisms, Marriages and Burials from 1713
St Saviour: Baptisms and Marriages from 1582 - Burials from 1609
St Martin: Baptisms and Marriages from 1660 - Burials from 1728
Forest: Baptisms and Marriages from 1700 - Burials from 1704
St Andrews: Baptisms from 1575 - Marriages from 1573 - Burials from 1574
Torteval: Baptisms from 1684 - Marriages from 1721 - Burials from 1739
The Church of St Anne: Baptisms 1662 - 1902 with annotations copied from an earlier (missing) book commenced in 1628, 1902 to present day in Church only.
Deaths from drowning and Burials 1652 to 1863. Succeeding Registers lost during the Occupation.
Marriages from 1657-1886.
The Priaulx Library have photocopies of Baptisms 1822-1832; Private Baptisms 1819-1821; Burials 1809-1812, 1853-59; Marriages 1841-1886.
Non-Conformists (Alderney only):
Catholic Church of St Anne and St Mary Magdalene: Baptisms March 1849-Oct 1952; Deaths January 1858 to April 1940 and two entries in 1946; Marriages from February 1852 to July 1924
Methodist: (English and French) and Presbyterian Church records prior to 1945 were destroyed during the German Occupation.
Baptisms, Burials and Marriages from 1570:
First Register of Baptisms, Marriages and Deaths begun 19 May 1570-1602. Missing 1577-1588.
Long Book begun 30 April 1605 - 1673 and continues 1703-1757.
Missing Baptisms 1633-1638 and 1664-1674, Marriages 1644-1661.
Third Register contains entries for 1675-1702.
After 1702 entries were recorded in the Long Book.
2nd Long Book contains incomplete records of Baptisms and Marriages 1757-1795; no burials are recorded for this period.
Fifth Register opened in 1795 - contains records up to 1820, and some entries for 1787-1792 omitted from 2nd Long Book.
Sixth Register 1821-1835
Seventh Register 1836 - September 1960.
Eighth Register 1960 to date.
Apart from the omissions recorded above, short gaps occur at changes of Minister. Cosme Brevin Minister 1570-1605, and Elie Brevint b. Sark 1586, son of Cosme, Minister 1612-1674, d. 30.3.1674.
The Priaulx Library in Guernsey has a microfilm set of the Parish Registers.
Parish Registers, Film 1 1570-1795. & Film 2 1795-1899. Apply direct to the Church for 20th Century registers.
Duplicate Sark Church Registers (1570-1795) can also be consulted at the Island Archives Service, 29 Victoria Road. St Peter Port, Guernsey, if you are visiting them, but they would prefer that postal research enquiries are directed to the Priauxl Library.