Habersham County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Habersham County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Habersham County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|Address|| Habersham County Courthouse|
555 Monroe Street #35
Clarkesville, GA 30523-0227
Habersham County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Probate Court has marriage and probate records from 1819,
birth and death records from 1940; Clerk Superior Court has
divorce, Court and land records, from 1819
1818--Habersham County was created 15 December 1818 from Cherokee Indian lands.
County seat: Clarkesville
1882 and 1895 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886 Georgia Pioneers
- Ledford, Karen Ann Thompson. These Men Wore Grey Genealogical, Military, and Interment Records of Confederate Soldiers. (Toccoa, Georgia : K.T. Ledford, c1998-c2001), 7 Volumes. Each volume contains bibliographical references and full-name index. Contents: v. 1. Franklin County -- v. 2. Habersham County --v. 3. Stephens County -- v. 4. Rabun County --v. 5. White County -- v. 6. Banks County -- v. 7. Jackson County. Book found at FHL 975.8 V3L and Other Libraries.
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
1. Estates 1820-1850 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers
2. Minutes 1842-1853 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers
3. Index to Inventories, Appraisements, Sales 1819-1928 Georgia Pioneers
4. Index to Annual Returns, Vouchers, 1879-1957 Georgia Pioneers
- 1859-60, 1869-70 - Habersham County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Cornelia Georgia Family History Center (Mount Airy)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Habersham County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Habersham County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.