This area was first settled in 1669 part of Plymouth Colony. The area was placed in Plymouth County when counties were formed in 1685. For a brief time, the area was part of the Dominion of New England from 1686 to 1689. The area is still in Plymouth County, though was in limbo, until the "Colony" was merged with Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691 that became the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It was established as a town from parts of Middleborough, Pembroke, and Plympton in 1734.
Bridgewater was once called Monponsett.
Village or section names include Halifax Station, Monoponsett, and South Halifax.
|4 July 1734||Established as a new town from parts of Middleborough, Pembroke, and Plympton. [Prov. Laws, 2: 717]|
|20 Feb. 1824||Part of Bridgewater annexed|
|16 Mar. 1831||Part of Plympton annexed|
|11 Apr. 1857||Part annexed to East Bridgewater and borders established|
|6 Feb. 1863||Border between Halifax and Plympton established and part of each town annexed to the other town|
Works written on the town include:
- Guy S. Baker, History of Halifax, Massachusetts (Halifax, Mass., 1976), 191 pp.
WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 974.482/H4 H2b.
- Halifax Wikipedia page.
]]The town's vital records are available in many locations:
- Halifax Town Clerk's Office
499 Plymouth Street
Halifax MA 02338
- Microfilm of the originals created by the Family History Library, 1734-1856, FHL films 904375 and 770906; 1841-1905, FHL film 2079888.
- Microfiche of the originals created by Archive Publishing covering town records that included vital records and a few other town records, 1703-1902, on 56 fiche. Part of Massachusetts, Town Vital Collections, 1620–1988 at Ancestry ($); Index
- Official state copy of vital records started in 1841. See the guide to the state for more information here.
- Vital Records of the town of Halifax, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849 (Boston, 1905).
This volume was microfilmed by the Family History Library, FHL film 874033 Item 3 (with digital link) and in digital versions at Internet Archive, Ancestry ($), and abstracted online.
WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 974.482/H4 V2b (with digital link).
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Halifax. For a map of their location with links to some transcriptions, see PlymouthColony.net.
- Central Cemetery, 1830. (A)
- Drew Family Plot, 1807. (A)
- Hudson-Briggs Family Tomb, 1819. (B - on the East Bridgewater town line)
- Perkins Lot, 1811. (A)
- Sturtevant / Monponsett Pond / East Cemetery, 1728. (A)
- Thomson Cemetery, 1734. (A)
Abstracts of the cemeteries above are marked and keyed to:
(A). Charles M. Thatcher, Old Cemeteries of Southeastern Massachusetts (Middleborough, Mass., 1995). WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 974.4 V3
(B). Vital Records of East Bridgewater, Massachusetts, to the year 1850 (Boston, 1917) [see links above under Vital Records].
The following is a list of churches established in town in order of organization date (if known) and condition of records in the 1889 survey if listed.
- Halifax Congregational Church, 1734, records good, but no records before 1824.
- Baptist Church, n.d., no longer extant with some records with the Middleborough Town Clerk.
- Calvary Baptist Church, n.d.
- Our Lady of the Lake Church, n.d.
- Halifax Reporter, 1984-present.
Libraries and Historical Societies
The following is list of research facilities in town: