Halsall, Lancashire Genealogy
HALSALL (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster; comprising the townships of Down Holland, Halsall, and Lydiate, and the chapelries of Maghull, and Melling with Cunscough; and containing 4445 inhabitants, of whom 1218 are in the township of Halsall, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Ormskirk. Halsall was anciently under the barony of Warrington. Of a family of the local name, was Simon de Halsall, contemporary with Sir Adam de Molines, 12th Henry III.; and previous to 1593 lived Sir Edward Halsall, some time chancellor of the exchequer at Chester. Sir Cuthbert Halsall sold the manor and advowson of the church, for, it is said, £1000, to Sir Gilbert, Lord Gerard of Bromley. By the will of the Gerards, Lord Mahon, Baron of Oakhampton, succeeded to Halsall; and his wife conveyed the property, by her second marriage, to the Mordaunts, who sold the living to the Blundell family. The parish comprises 29,312 acres, of which 6996a. 3r. are in Halsall township. It is situated near the coast, and intersected by the Leeds and Liverpool canal, which passes through each of its townships; the views of the sea are good, and the air salubrious. There are some quarries of freestone; and in Halsall moss, which is rather extensive, is found a bituminous turf, which burns like a candle. La Mancha, here, is the residence of Thomas Fisher Moore, Esq. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 11. 5½., and in the patronage of R. B. B. Hollinshead Blundell, Esq., of Deysbrook; net income, £3051: the rector's house is a stately structure of stone, built in 1847. The parochial church is handsome, partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style, with a lofty spire, and forms a conspicuous object in the scenery. There are also churches at Maghull, Melling, and Lydiate, the livings of which are perpetual curacies, in the patronage of the rector. In the churchyard is a school-house, built in 1595, by Edward Halsall, who bequeathed a rent-charge of £13. 6. 8.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 379-383. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50999 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.