Halton, Lancashire Genealogy
Also see the Chapelry of Aughton, built in 1856 which lies within Halton Parish boundaries.
Halton St Wifrid is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire. Other places in the parish include: Aughton.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
The village consists primarily of modern housing, amongst which can be found a number of 17th and 18th century buildings. The 19th century Textile Mills once harnessed the power of the Lune. Earthworks on Castle Hill show evidence of an 11th century Norman motte & bailey castle. In the churchyard of St Wilfrids stands the Halton Cross believed to have been carved by Norsemen over 1,000 years ago.
Halton Castle was situated in the village of Halton. Halton was an important Anglo-Saxon manor held by Earl Tostig, the brother of King Harold before the Norman Conquest. It is likely that a motte and bailey castle was constructed on the site in the late 11th century. However Halton’s prominence was lost in the 12th century when favour shifted to Lancaster, and Halton Castle was abandoned. Only earthworks now remain and it is privately owned with no public right of way.
"HALTON St Wilfrid, a parish, (established and operating by 1592) in the hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 3 miles northeast by east from Lancaster; containing, by 1856, the chapelry of Aughton as well. Halton had no fewer than twenty-two dependent townships."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
The parish registers for Halton Parish and its attached chapelry of Aughton and its respective chapel registers have partly been transcribed and are available online at the following web sites and the specified range of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|JOIN = Joiner's Marriage Index (£)|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|HALTON ST WILFRID PARISH (1592) Indexes|
|AUGHTON ST GEORGE Chapelry (1856) Indexes|
Original parish registers are preserved at the Lancashire Record Offfice, Bow Lane, in Preston, PR1 2RE.
Microfilmed copies of the original parish and chapelry (Aughton St George) registers are available through the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT, USA or through its 4,600 satellite FamilySearch Centers worldwide.
Here is what's available:
Halton (Lancaster)- St Wilfrid
Baptisms Transcript-1592-1726- 929.3272 H6
Baptisms Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1
Burials Transcript-1592-1725- 929.3272 H6
Burials Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1
Marriage Index-1813-1837- Rossendale Fiche H10
Marriages Transcript-1593-1725- 929.3272 H6
Marriages Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1
For original registers of above please enquire at Lancashire Record Office.
The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 383-387. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51000 Adapted. Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.