Hambleton, Lancashire Genealogy
Hambleton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1738 from chapelry in Kirkham,_Lancashire Ancient Parish.
It was founded as chapel before 1567 when Queen Elizabeth I was petitioned for it to be called Our Ladie Chapell.
The nave of the old chapel rebuilt in 1749 is still part of the building which was altered in 1877. the present look was established after extensive restructuring in 1973 and further disabled access and loop system for hearing impaired was installed in 2009.
HAMBLETON, an ecclesiastical [chapelry], in the parish of Kirkham, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 17 miles (N. W. by W.) from Preston; containing 349 inhabitants. This place is mentioned in the Domesday survey. It was given by King John to an ancestor of the Sherburns, who were succeeded in the possession of the manor by the Weld family. Hambleton is situated on the northern bank of the navigable river Wyre, by which it is separated from the rest of the parish; and comprises 1322a. 2r. 4p., whereof about 504 acres are arable, 597 pasture, 191 meadow, and a very small portion woodland. The Wyre, which is here 500 yards in breadth, is crossed by a ferry to Poulton, called Shard ferry. "This river," Dr. Leigh observes, "affords a pearl-fishing, pearls being frequently found in large muscles, named by the inhabitants Hambleton hookins, from their manner of taking them, which is done by plucking them from their skeers or beds with hooks:" "these pearl-muscles," he adds, "are very common in Lancashire." Hambleton long formed a chapelry in the parish; but by an order in council made 21st January, 1846, it was constituted a separate benefice. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkham; net income, about £125. The tithes have been commuted for £178. 13. payable to the Dean and Chapter of ChristChurch, Oxford, and £35. 19. 8. to the vicar. The church is a plain brick building, erected in 1749, on the site of a very ancient chapel, of which the date is unknown.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis(1848), pp. 387-391. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51001 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.