Hamilton County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Hamilton County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hamilton County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1857|
|County Seat||Webster City|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Cass Center Cemetery, Webster City BillionGraves. Google shows this one as 'Cass Creek Cemetery'.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the Bethesda Lutheran Church, Hamilton County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Elim Lutheran Church, Randall
- Records of the Elim Lutheran Church, Randall, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Stanhope, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Hamilton County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Hamilton - Probate records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hamilton County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Hamilton County, IAGenWeb
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).