Hamilton County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Hamilton County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseHamilton County Courthouse
Hamilton, TX 76531-1859
County Clerk has incomplete birth and death from 1903, marriage records from 1885, divorce records
from 1875, probate records from 1870 and land records
1863, 1877, 1886--Courthouses and many county records were destroyed by fires in September 1863, March 1877, and February 1886.
Places / Localities
Carlton | Evant | Fairy (Martin's Gap) | Hamilton | Hico | Jonesboro (partly in Coryell County) | Pottsville | Shreve
Local histories are available for Hamilton County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hamilton County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 United States World War II Draft Records Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Hamilton County TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Gazetteer of Hamilton County, Texas
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hamilton County, Texas. Page 665 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).