United States > Massachusetts > Hampden County
showing location of Hampden County
- In 1997, the county governments of Hampden, Berkshire, Essex, Hampden and Worcester were abolished.
- Their functions were turned over to state agencies.
- Sheriffs in these counties still administer jails but their employees are state employees.
- The legislation to abolish these county governments transferred Registeries of Deeds to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth and Suffolk county governments remain substantially unchanged.
- Created 25 February 1812 from Hampshire County.
Places / Localities
- West Springfield
- East Longmeadow
Berkshire | Hampshire | Worcester | Connecticut counties: Hartford | Litchfield | Tolland
Societies and Libraries
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).