Hampden County, Massachusetts Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 06:40, 16 September 2008 by Dsammy (resized thumb)
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- In 1997, the county governments of Hampden, Berkshire, Essex, Hampden and Worcester were abolished.
- Their functions were turned over to state agencies.
- Sheriffs in these counties still administer jails but their employees are state employees.
- The legislation to abolish these county governments transferred Registeries of Deeds to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth and Suffolk county governments remain substantially unchanged.
- Created 25 February 1812 from Hampshire County.
Places / Localities
- Cities: Agawam . Chicopee . Holyoke . Springfield . West Springfield . Westfield
- Towns: Blandford . Brimfield . Chester . East Longmeadow . Granville . Hampden . Holland . Longmeadow . Ludlow . Monson . Montgomery . Palmer . Russell . Southwick . Tolland . Wales . Wilbraham
- Communities: Bondsville . Holland . Monson Center . Palmer . Three Rivers . Wilbraham
- Villages: Feeding Hills . Forest Park
Societies and Libraries
- The Hampden County MAGenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Hampden County
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Hampden County