Difference between revisions of "Hancock County, Maine Genealogy"
(CW Data from Excel)
|Line 134:||Line 134:|
==== Maps ====
==== Maps ====
==== Military Records
==== Military Records ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
Revision as of 03:05, 28 December 2013
Guide to Hancock County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hancock County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
|Founded||June 25, 1789|
|Address|| Hancock County Courthouse|
50 State Street
Ellsworth, ME 04605
Hancock County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Libraries, Archives, Museums
- 6 Societies - Genealogical, Historical, Lineage
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Town clerks have birth, marriage and death records. Clerk of the Superior Court has divorce and court records. Probate office has probate records. Register of Deeds has land records. County Clerk has marriage records 1789-1891. 
Places / Localities
Unorganized territories. For further details see Maine townships.
- Central Hancock: Fletchers Landing
- Eagle Island
- East Hancock:
- Township 3 North Division and Strip North
- Township 4 North Division and Strip North (a.k.a. Oqiton Township)
- Township 7 South Division
- Township 9 South Division
- Township 10 South Division
- Township 16 Middle Division
- Township 22 Middle Division
- Township 28 Middle Division (Number 28 MD Plantation)
- Township 34 Middle Division
- Township 35 Middle Division
- Township 39 Middle Division
- Township 40 Middle Division
- Township 41 Middle Division
- Northwest Hancock: Township 32 Middle Division
Communities • Bar Harbor • Bucksport
Villages • Bass Harbor • Islesford • Minturn • Northeast Harbor
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Maine denominations, view the Maine Church Records wiki page.
Local histories are available for Hancock County, Maine Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Maine Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Maine Land and Property for additional information about early Maine land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Regiments. Service men in Hancock County, Maine Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Hancock County, Maine Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Maine Infantry , Company B.
Finding More Maine Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hancock County, Maine Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Maine tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
In Maine, vital records are kept by town clerks or selectmen. Although some towns have existed since the 1650s, most vital records date from about 1700. The vital statistics are often arranged by family. For more information, see the Wiki page for the town and the Wiki page, Maine Vital Records.
Libraries, Archives, Museums
"Inspiring New Learning About the Wabanaki Nations with Every Visit"
26 Mount Desert Street
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Abbe at Sieur de Monts Spring
Acadia National Park
Family history Centers
Societies - Genealogical, Historical, Lineage
- The Hancock County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Hancock County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Hancock County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Hancock County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hancock County, 181, and 304. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Before an extinct town was discontinued, it created official town records of interest to genealogists. For preservation these records were usually turned over to a nearby functioning town in the same county.
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 99. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.