Difference between revisions of "Hancock County, West Virginia Genealogy"
|Line 105:||Line 105:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
Revision as of 15:49, 30 April 2014
Guide to Hancock County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hancock County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1848|
|County Seat||New Cumberland|
|Address|| Hancock County Courthouse|
P O Box 367
New Cumberland, WV 26047
Hancock County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- County Clerk has birth, marriage, death probate and land records from 1848
- Clerk Circuit Clerk has divorce records
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in West Virginia counties see: West Virginia Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
- Beaver County, Pennsylvania
- Columbiana County, Ohio
- Jefferson County, Ohio
- Washington County, Pennsylvania
For tips on accessing Hancock County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- County Court record, 1857-1927 Hancock County was part of Virginia until 1864, when it became part of West Virginia.
- Chancery order book, 1875-1880
- Chancery order books, 1848-1930 Hancock County was part of Virginia until 1864, when it became part of West Virginia.
- Fiduciary records, 1897-1904
- Index to discharges, 1866-1992
- Inventory books, 1864-1931
- Law order book, 1848-1871
- County clerk's order books, 1897-1930 Original records at the Hancock County Courthouse in New Cumberland, West Virginia.
- Deed books, 1848-1863 Hancock County was part of Virginia until 1864, when it became part of West Virginia.
Go here for general Military Records of West Virginia
- - 1st Regiment, West Virginia Infantry. Company I.
- Naturalization records, 1904-1956 You can view these records on line.
- Weirton Daily Times (Weirton, West Virginia) at Ancestry.com ($)
Hancock County, West Virginia Wills 1853-1917
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1854-1873, 1880-1971 - free.
- Hancock County, West Virginia deaths, deeds, wills, inventories, church and cemetery records Contains deaths 1853-1899; wills, inventories, etc. 1848-1899; cemetery records ca. 1799-1936; New Cumberland Methodist Protestant Church records of births 1878-1896, baptisms 1890-1895, membership 1889-1899; Cove Christian Church (organized as the Congregation of Jesus Christ) membership rolls 1830-1892; Cove Presbyterian Church baptisms 1859-1897, membership [1859?]-1898; Nessly Chapel (M.P.) membership roll [1878?]-1898; Point Pleasant M.P. Church membership roll 1885-1896; and miscellaneous deeds 1785-1814.
- Will book, 1918-1932
Societies and Libraries
Tri-State Genealogical and Historical Society
P O Box 454
Newell, West Virginia 26050-0454
Family History Centers
- Hancock County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hancock County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).