Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Hardin County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hardin County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 15, 1792|
- 1 Hardin County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Hardin County Kentucky History
- 3 Hardin County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Hardin County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African Americans
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Hardin County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Hardin County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Hardin County Kentucky Genealogy References
Hardin County Kentucky Courthouse
Hardin County Justice Center
120 E. Dixie Ave.
Elizabethtown, Ky. 42701
270-766-5000 or 270-766-5037
Hours of Operation:
Monday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Hardin County Kentucky History
The county is named after John Hardin (1753-1792), an officer in the Revolutionary War.A few more interesting history facts Hardin County History Facts
Some records were destroyed by fires that occurred on 23 Dec 1864 and 6 Dec 1932.
Hardin County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Booth||Glendale Junction||Pierce Mill||Star Mills|
|Crest||Hardin Springs||Red Hill||Tunnel Hills|
|Flint Hill||Indian Hills||Rose Terrace||Vine Grove|
|Fort Knox||Kraft||Saint John||Vine Grove Junction|
|Four Corners||Limp||Seven Corners||West Point|
|Franklin Cross Roads||Long View||Solway||White Mills|
|Gaffey Heights||Melrose||Sonora||White Mills Junction|
Hardin County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
- Who Was Who in Hardin County. 1946. Vol. 2 digitized by FamilySearch Books Online - free.
CemeteriesKentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Hardin Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Hardin County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Hardin County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Hardin County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- 1793-1875 - Will Books A to T (1793-1875) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Bomar] Wilbur, Tom. Eight Bomar Families of Early Hardin, Hart, and Larue Counties, Kentucky and Some of Their Descendants: A Few Allied Families: Bolton, Buckner, Clopton, Cruse, Dye, Ferguson, Hazle, Highbaugh, Hill, Hodge(s) Jaggers, Lamkin Mears, Owen(s), Shelton, Simpson, Waddle, Wheeler. Okemos, Mich.: T. Wilbur, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 B639w
- [Hodgen] Mather, Otis May. Six Generations of LaRues and Allied Families: Containing Sketch of Isaac LaRue, Senior, Who Died in Frederick County, Virginia in 1795, and Some Account of His American Ancestors and Three Generations of His Descendants and Families Who Were Connected by Inter-marriage: Among Others Carman, Hodgen, Helm, Buzan, Rust ... : Copies of Six Old Wills and Other Documents, Various Incidents Connected with the Settlement of the Nolynn Valley in Kentucky; Also a Chapter on the La Rue Family and the Child Abraham Lincoln. Hodgenville, Kentucky: O.M. Mather, 1921. Available at FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 L329m 1968; FHL US/CAN Film 1208 [2 listings at FHL]; digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive - free; and World Vital Records ($).
- [Kasey] Schorn, Catherine Scott. "Kaseys in Bedford County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 31, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1987):243-248; Vol. 32, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1988):24-32. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 31 (1987)-v. 32 (1988).
- [LaRue] Mather, Otis May. Six Generations of LaRues and Allied Families: Containing Sketch of Isaac LaRue, Senior, Who Died in Frederick County, Virginia in 1795, and Some Account of His American Ancestors and Three Generations of His Descendants and Families Who Were Connected by Inter-marriage: Among Others Carman, Hodgen, Helm, Buzan, Rust ... : Copies of Six Old Wills and Other Documents, Various Incidents Connected with the Settlement of the Nolynn Valley in Kentucky; Also a Chapter on the La Rue Family and the Child Abraham Lincoln. Hodgenville, Kentucky: O.M. Mather, 1921. Available at FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 L329m 1968; FHL US/CAN Film 1208 [2 listings at FHL]; digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive - free; and World Vital Records ($).
- [Peebles] Saltzman, Bettie L. Peebles and Linda L. Saltzman McCall. Peebles, 1763-1988. Typescript. 1988 reprint: FHL Book 929.273 P343s.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1793-1915 - Will Books A to G (1793-1915) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- Family Search Library Catalog
- Early Kentucky Tax Records
- Researching Early Kentucky Tax Lists 1792-1840
- 1852-1860 - Hardin County Birth Index 1852-1860. Batch C517441 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Hardin County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517442 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Hardin County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
2950 Shepherdsville Rd
Elizabethtown, Hardin, Kentucky, United States
Hours: T,Th 9am-12pm; W 7pm-9pm
Hardin County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Hardin County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hardin County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Hardin County at Our Family Tree
Hardin County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hardin County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Samuel R. Brown, The Western Gazetteer or Emigrant's Directory, Containing a Geographical Description of the Western States and Territories, viz. The States of Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi: and the Territories of Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, Michigan, and North-Western (Auburn, N.Y.: H.C. Southwick, 1817), 89. Digital versions at NIU Library Digitization Projects and World Vital Records ($).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.