Hardin County, Texas Genealogy
Adopted by TxGenWeb Hardin County
Sandra Kornegay Rhodes
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Hardin County; PO Box 38; Kountze, TX 77625; Ph. 409.246.5185 Details: (Co Clk has b rec from 1892, m, d & land rec from 1859 & pro rec from 1888; Dis Clk has div rec)
The first Anglo-American settlement was in 1832.
1886 -- The County Courthouse at Hardin, Texas caught fire on August 8, 1886. Some records were destroyed including the assessment rolls of the county, surveyor's records, and the county judge's records, including the probate records. The only records that may have been saved were those that were stored in an iron safe. After the fire, the county seat was moved from Hardin to Kountze.
Places / Localities
Rosedale Cemetery, Sour Lake BillionGraves
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Hardin, Texas - Handbook of Texas Online http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh11
- Hardin, TX Hardin County Courthouse Fire, Aug 1886 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17587/hardin-tx-hardin-county-courthouse-fire-aug-1886