Harpurhey, Lancashire Genealogy
HARPURHEY, a township with a district chapel,in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles north by northeast of Manchester, on the road to Rochdale. The ecclesiastical district of Harpurhey is eight miles in circumference, and comprises the whole of this township and the township of Moston, and part of Collihurst. The chapel was built in 1838. Near here and on the road to Manchester is the General Cemetery, opened in September 1837 and is for all denominations.—See also Manchester.
Harpurhey Christ Church is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Moston.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 413-416. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51008 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.