Harris County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Harris County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Harris County Courthouse
1001 Preston 4th Floor
Houston, TX 77251-1525
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage and land records from 1836, probate records
form late 1800’s, court records from 1920’s and
immirgration records 1880-1890; District Clerk has divorce
1836--Harris County was created 17 March 1836 from Old Mexican Municipality. County seat: Houston 
See an interactive map of Harris County border changes.
Places / Localities
Baytown | Bellaire | Bunker Hill Village | Deer Park | El Lago | Fairbanks | Galena Park | Hedwig Village | Hilshire Village | Houston | Humble | Hunters Creek Village | Jacinto City | Jersey Village | Katy (partly in Fort Bend and Waller Counties) | La Porte | Morgans Point | Nassau Bay | Pasadena | Piney Point Village | Seabrook | Shore Acres | South Houston | Southside Place | Spring Valley Village | Taylor Lake Village | Tomball | Webster | West University Place
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
At Rest: A Historical Directory of Harris County, Texas Cemeteries (1822-2001) Including Burial Customs and Other Interesting Facts, With a Listing of Past and Present Communities, Funeral Homes and Monument Companies, by Trevia Wooster Beverly, Houston: Tejas Publications & Research, c. 1995; 2001.
Houston & Texas Death Records Webpage: Containts Indexes to:
- Fogle West Funeral Home
- Boulevard Funeral Home
- Alief Cemetery, Houston
- Crosby Cemetery, Barrett One of two cemeteries on FM 1942, the other is just north of this one.
- Earthman Resthaven Cemetery, Houston
- Ehrhardt Cemetery, Houston
- Evergreen Cemetery, Crosby
- Houston National Cemetery, Houston
- Hufsmith Cemetery (also known as Bogs Cemetery), Tomball
- Olivewood Cemetery, Houston
- Sacred Heart Cemetery, Barrett One of the cemeteries on FM 1942 described above.
- Saint John Cemetery, Cypress
- Willow Creek Cemetery, Tomball
- de Zavalla Cemetery, Channelview
- Rice University Yearbooks: 1916-1935
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Harris County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Harris County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Houston Chronicle Newspaper
- Kingwood Observer Obituary Index 1993-2008
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Texas newspapers including Galveston from the early 1800's.
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Harris County Clerk Searchable Indexes http://www.cclerk.hctx.net/applications/websearch/
Online Birth Indexes and Records
Original Birth Records on Microfilm
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
Original Marriage Records on Microfilm
Online Death Indexes and Records
- Texas Deaths, 1890-1976 (FamilySearch) - The name index was created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903 and in many counties prior to 1910. Fold3.com also has Texas Deaths, 1890-1976 ($) available online.
- Texas Death Index, 1964-1998 (FamilySearch) - Index to Texas statewide death certificates covering 4 million deaths since 1964.
Original Death Records on Microfilm
Societies and Libraries
- Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research
Houston, Texas Part of the Houston Public Library system it is on its own two full city block complex with multiple buildings. One of the nations' "top ten," and the "jewel" in Houston's genealogy crown.
- Baytown Historical Preservation Association
PO Box 1244
Baytown TX 77522-1244.
Living History Museum Complex at the Republic of Texas Plaza
5117 North Main St.
- Humble Area Genealogical Society
Following ancestral footsteps in and around Atascocita, Crosby, Huffman, Kingwood, New Caney, Porter, Splendora, and Humble, Texas.
- Chaparral Genealogical Society
310 North Live Oak
P.O. Box 606, Tomball, TX. 77377-0606
Library Hours: Mon.- Wed. 10-2 Sat. 10-2
Closed 4th Sat. of every month.
- Atascocita-Kingwood Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Baytown Texas Family History Center
- Clear Lake Texas Family History Center (Houston)
- Houston Texas Family History Center
- Houston Texas North Family History Center
- Katy Texas Family History Center
- Kingwood Texas Family History Center
- Klein Texas Family History Center
- Pasadena Texas Family History Center
- Pine Trails Texas Family History Center (Houston)
- Shadowdale Texas Family History Center (Houston)
- Tomball Texas Family History Center
- Harris County Family History and Genealogy, a part of the TXGenWeb and USGenWeb projects.
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harris County, Texas. Page 665 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).