Harris County, Texas Genealogy
Adopted by the TXGenWeb Harris Co., TX
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
1836--Harris County was created 17 March 1836 from Old Mexican Municipality. County seat: Houston 
Places / Localities
Baytown | Bellaire | Bunker Hill Village | Deer Park | El Lago | Fairbanks | Galena Park | Hedwig Village | Hilshire Village | Houston | Humble | Hunters Creek Village | Jacinto City | Jersey Village | Katy (partly in Fort Bend and Waller Counties) | La Porte | Morgans Point | Nassau Bay | Pasadena | Piney Point Village | Seabrook | Shore Acres | South Houston | Southside Place | Spring Valley Village | Taylor Lake Village | Tomball | Webster | West University Place
At Rest: A Historical Directory of Harris County, Texas Cemeteries (1822-2001) Including Burial Customs and Other Interesting Facts, With a Listing of Past and Present Communities, Funeral Homes and Monument Companies, by Trevia Wooster Beverly, Houston: Tejas Publications & Research, c. 1995; 2001.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
Houston Chronicle Newspaper
Kingwood Observer Obituary Index 1993-2008
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Death Certificates 1890-1976 ($) (Footnote.com)
Societies and Libraries
- Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research
Houston, Texas Part of the Houston Public Library system it is on its own two full city block complex with multiple buildings. One of the nations' "top ten," and the "jewel" in Houston's genealogy crown.
- Baytown Historical Preservation Association
PO Box 1244
Baytown TX 77522-1244.
Living History Museum Complex at the Republic of Texas Plaza
5117 North Main St.
- Humble Area Genealogical Society
Following ancestral footsteps in and around Atascocita, Crosby, Huffman, Kingwood, New Caney, Porter, Splendora, and Humble, Texas.
- Chaparral Genealogical Society
310 North Live Oak
P.O. Box 606, Tomball, TX. 77377-0606
Library Hours: Mon.- Wed. 10-2 Sat. 10-2
Closed 4th Sat. of every month.
- Atascocita-Kingwood Genealogical Society
- Harris County Family History and Genealogy, a part of the TXGenWeb and USGenWeb projects.
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).