Hartford, Cheshire Genealogy
Hartford is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1825 from chapelry in Witton, Cheshire Ecclesiastical Parish. Other places in the parish include: Castle Northwich.
The beginning of the church in Hartford was 1821 when a meeting of the inhabitants of resolved to raise sufficient funds for the building of a church. At that time most of the township was served by Witton Chapel, 2 miles away, except for a small area south of Chester Road which formed a detached part of Weaverham parish.
Building started in 1822 and the new church and churchyard were consecrated by the Bishop of Chester in 1824 as a chapel to Witton. The building cost about £1,450.
Population growth in Hartford over the next forty years meant that this church was soon too small and so in 1873 a new building dedicated to St John the Baptist was commissioned. It was designed by John Douglas and the new church was consecrated in 1875 by the Bishop of Chester.
The tower was built and dedicated by the Bishop of Chester in 1887 to commemorate the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria. In 1897 a ring of six bells was installed to commemorate her diamond jubilee.
Hartford was a township in Eddisbury Hundred mainly in Witton chapelry of Great Budworth parish (except for a small part was in Weaverham parish), which became a civil parish in 1866.
In 1894 the part of Hartford in Northwich Urban District was added to Northwich. In 1955 the district of Greenbank was added to Northwich and includes the hamlet of Hartfordbeach.
Hartford is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It lies at the intersection of the A559 road and the West Coast Mainline (between Liverpool and Crewe) and is less than 2 miles (3.2 km) south west of the town of Northwich.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Vale Royal (1974–98)
Cheshire Central (1998–2009)
Cheshire West (post 2009) registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Non Conformist Churches
Hartford, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Beach Road. Built in 1833, the present building dates from 1891.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241237.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.