Harwood, Lancashire Genealogy
HARWOOD, a township, in the parish and union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Bolton-Cross; containing 1996 inhabitants. Sir Edmund Trafford, Knt., was a proprietor of "Harewood" (the ancient name) in the reign of Edward VI. During the civil wars, the place is said to have been a military station. Lomax Fold, in the township, has long been the inheritance of the Lomax family; but the principal part of the land here belongs to Brasenose College, Oxford, being a portion of the bequest of William Hulme for exhibitions from certain public schools in Lancashire. The affix of Fold or Gate, to the names of mansions, meaning "the inclosure of the homestead," prevails much in this district. The township lies northward of the new road between Bolton and Bury, and is separated from Tonge by Bradshaw Brook; it comprises about 1100 acres, chiefly pasture land. The situation is high and exposed, and the soil, a cold clay, is not very fertile; the substratum is sandstone and shale, and seams of coal underlie the whole township, the dip being from north-east to south-west. The coal, however, is not of the best quality, and is worked only in the north-west part of the township, at Side-o'-th'-Moor and Top-o'-Raikes; pits at Riding Gate and Top-o'-th'-Greeves are exhausted. The stone is quarried for building and for flagging. The inhabitants are chiefly hand-loom weavers, small farmers, crofters, and colliers. A church was consecrated in Oct. 1841, and an ecclesiastical district, called Christ Church, has been formed of parts of the townships of Harwood and Breightmet: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of three Trustees, and endowed with £1000; total income, about £100. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship; and the Wesleyans a school at Longsight. Miss Lomax supports an infant school, containing nearly 100 children, in a neat cottage at Lomax Fold; and the Earl of Derby having bestowed a piece of land near the church, an appropriate school to accommodate 150 children is being built by subscription, through the exertions of Mr. Lomax and the clergyman. A portion of an ancient Roman road crosses a considerable eminence in the north-east part of the township, in the direction of Tottington.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis(1848), pp. 431-435. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51012 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.