Haslingden, Lancashire Genealogy
HASLINGDEN, a market-town and parochial chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Whalley, Higher and Lower divisions of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 17 miles north of Manchester. This chapelry, which is divided into four parts, namely, Haslingden, Henheads, and Higher and Lower Booths. Haslingden St James was erected and in operation by the year 1598 and was a parochial chapelry. As such, it also held ecclesiastical jurisdiction over the chapels in the church districts at both Rawtenstall and Higher Booths, which see.
In this township were numerous dissenting groups, including places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Primitive Methodists, Roman Catholics, Unitarians, Society of Friends, Wesleyan Methodists, Sandemanians, and Swedenborgians.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306897.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 435-441. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51013 Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.