HATHERLEIGH (St. John the Baptist), a market-town and parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Black Torrington, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon, 29 miles (W. N. W.) from Exeter. This place appears to have been formerly a borough, and to have enjoyed a separate jurisdiction: until within a comparatively recent period there was a pillory in the town. The church is in the early English style, with a tower at the west end, surmounted by a neat spire: the windows are embellished with armorial bearings in stained glass; the pulpit is richly carved, and on one side of the altar is a piscina; there are some ancient monuments. Here are places of worship for Baptists, Bible Christians, and Plymouth Brethren. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241326.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 435-441.