Haverthwaite, Lancashire Genealogy
Haverthwaite St Anne was created a chapelry in 1826, lying within the boundaries of Cartmel and Colton, Lancashire parishes. Haverthwaite village proper was in Colton parish, and the (district) chapelry crossed into both Colton and Cartmel parishes, Lancashire.
Haverthwaite is a small village since 1974 in the Furness region of Cumbria (historically Lancashire). It is also within the boundaries of the Lake District National Park. It is located several miles east of Ulverston and is near the southern end of Windermere. The village gets part of its name from the Old Norse word thwaite which usually refers to a clearing or settlement in the forest.
In the 18th century there were two iron furnaces near the village, one at Backbarrow and the other at Low Wood. The furnace at Backbarrow was supplied from 1711 with iron ore from Low Furness which would have arrived at the quays in Haverthwaite and been transported to Backbarrow by horse and cart. In 1860 the Furness Railway opened its branch line that ran from Ulverston to Lakeside and almost overnight the quays fell into disuse.
In 1798 a gunpowder works, Low Wood, was established and continued production until 1935. The nearby river Leven was used to transport the finished product.
The vicarage was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the new route of the A590. St Anne's Church was originally a chapel under Colton; it was consecrated in 1825 and extended in 1838. When it was built, it received a grant on condition that 200 sittings were to be 'free and unappropriated for ever'. the modern parish is in the Diocese of Carlisle.
"HAVERTHWAITE, a district chapelry, in the parish of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles northeast of Ulverston. The chapel was erected in 1826".
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Haverthwaite chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Colton to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|HAVERTHWAITE Chapelry (1832) Indexes|
|COLTON HOLY TRINITY PARISH (1623) Indexes (ancient parish containing HAVERTHWAITE Chapelry)|
|FS||1623-1655, 1676-1870||1626-1648, 1676-1854||1676-1870|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Haverthwaite and comprising the whole ancient parish of Colton to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the COLTON HOLY TRINITY PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 447-450. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51016 Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.