Hawaii, United States Genealogy
|United States Wiki Topics|
|United States Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Welcome to Hawaii, The Aloha State
Less than 1 percent of Hawaii's population is pure-blooded Hawaiian. Many immigrant groups originally came as contract laborers to work in the sugar fields. The Chinese began arriving in 1852, followed by the Portuguese in 1878, the Japanese in 1884, Koreans in 1903, and Filipinos in 1906. Those of Japanese descent presently constitute about 30 percent of the total population, and are the largest ethnic group in Hawaii. American missionaries from New England started coming in 1820, but the number of Americans was not significant until about 1875.
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Hawaii GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Pacific Island Guide to Family History Research (Wiki article click here)
- Research Guide: BYU Research Outline for Hawaii
- Papakilo Database - compilation of online records by the Office of Hawaiian Affairs. Contains
- Hawaiian Roots - Has links to documents for Hawaiian research, Hawaiian history and culture, and other resources helpful for Hawaiian genealogy.
- Ulukau.org The purpose of Ulukau, the Hawaiian Electronic Library, is to make these resources available for the use, teaching, and revitalization of the Hawaiian language and for a broader and deeper understanding of Hawaiʻi with links to databases of Genealogy, Dictionaries, Newspapers and more.
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Hawaii Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Hawaii Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Hawaii Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Hawaii, Honolulu-Index to Passengers, Not Including Filipinos (FamilySearch Historical records)
Getting Help with your Genealogy
Professional Genealogists who specialize in Hawaiian Research helps you compare the expertise, credentials, and rates of professional researchers who can help you access these records.
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by: