Difference between revisions of "Hawaii County, Hawaii Genealogy"
(added vital records intro)
(added church intro)
|Line 70:||Line 70:|
==== Church Records
==== Church Records ====
==== Court Records ====
==== Court Records ====
Revision as of 18:33, 2 July 2013
Guide to Hawaii County Hawaii genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hawaii County, Hawaii|
Location in the state of Hawaii
Location of Hawaii in the U.S.
|Address|| Hawaii County Courthouse|
25 Aupuni Street
Hilo, HI 96720
Hawaii County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Biography
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Directories
- 2.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.8 Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- 2.9 Gazetteers
- 2.10 Genealogy
- 2.11 History
- 2.12 Land and Property
- 2.13 Maps
- 2.14 Migration
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Obituaries
- 2.19 Probate
- 2.20 Public Records
- 2.21 Repositories
- 2.22 Taxation
- 2.23 Vital Records
- 2.24 Websites
- 3 Places
- 4 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created in 1905 from Hilo (old) county
- County seat: Hilo 
- Neighboring Island: Maui
For tips on accessing Hawaii County, Hawaii Genealogy census records online, see: Hawaii Census.
- 1878 (Oahu)
- 1900 United States Census - Hawaii
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Hawaii denominations, view the Hawaii Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
State Health Dept has marriage, death, wills, wills, probate and land records.
Family History Centers
- Hilo Hawaii Family History Center
- Honokaa Hawaii Family History Center
- Ka'u Hawaii Family History Center
- Keei Hawaii Family History Center
- Kohala Hawaii Family History Center
- Kona Hawaii Family History Center
- Lanai Hawaii Family History Center
- Molokai Hawaii Family History Center
- Waimea Hawaii Family History Center
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. The State office has some records as early as 1853 up to the present. See the State of Hawaii, Department of Health website for information on acquiring the records and any restrictions.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hawaii County, Hawaii Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hawaii County, Hawaii page 170, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.