Hawarden Poor Law Union
Hawarden Poor Law Union officially came into being on 1st February, 1853, and encompassed the western part of the Great Boughton union which the Poor Law Board had decided covered too great an area.
The new union erected a workhouse in 1853-4 ast a site to the north-east of Broughton.
After 1938, the workhouse became Broughton Public Assistance Institution but was adapted for use as a mental hospital. It then became Broughton Hospital, which finally closed in 1994. The buildings have now been completely demolished and replaced by a housing estate.
County of Chester: Doddleston, Eaton, Eccleston, Lower Kinnerton, Marlston-with-Leach, Poulton, Pulford, Great Saughall, Little Saughall, Shotwick, Shotwick Park, Woodbank.
County of Flint: Hawarden, Higher Kinnerton, Saltney.
Flintshire Record Office, The Old Rectory, Hawarden, Flintshire, CH5 3NR. Holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1857-1930, with gaps); Creed register (1914-21); Casuals' admissions and discharges (1916-32); Ledgers (1919-1930)