Headley, Surrey Genealogy
'HEADLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Reigate, Second division of the hundred of Copthorne and Effingham, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S.) from Epsom; containing 317 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1630 acres, of which 489 are waste or common; there are considerable woodlands. A small hill here is called "Oyster," from its containing fossils of that shell-fish, quantities of which have been found. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 7. 6., and in the gift of the family of Howard: the tithes have been commuted for £211, and the glebe contains 15½ acres. The church is a small edifice, chiefly built of flint, and consists of a nave and chancel separated by a pointed arch, with a tower at the west end: a delightful view is obtained from the churchyard, northwards.'
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474660.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel A. Lewis (1848), pp. 456-459. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51019 Date accessed: 18 November 2010.
- Batches C020331, C020332, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- Batches M020331, M020332, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm