Heapey, Lancashire Genealogy
Heapey St Barnabas was created a chapel of ease by 1711, lying within the boundaries of Leyland Ancient Parish.
Heapey is a small village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley, in Lancashire, England. It has been within the blast zone of an ordinance factory used throughout the Second World War after compulsory purchase of land in 1937.
Heapey in Lancashire, named in Old English as ‘(rose)hip hedge or enclosure’, heope ‘hip’ + hege ‘hedge’ or gehæg ‘enclosure’.
Heapey St. Barnabas is in the Diocese of Blackburn and was built at some point prior to 1552 and was enlarged in 1740 and 1829. It is a grade II listed historical structure and can seat 470 worshipers.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
The following is taken from Kelly's Directory of Lancashire for 1924:
"Heapey is a township and with part of Wheelton constitutes an ecclesiastical parish, formed out of the ancient parish of Leyland, near the high road from Chorley to Blackburn, 8½ miles south-west from Blackburn, and 9 miles (14 km) south-east from Preston, it is in the Chorley division of the county, hundred of Leyland, petty sessional division of Leyland hundred, union and county court district of Chorley, rural deanery of Leyland, archdeaconry of Blackburn and diocese of Manchester. The Leeds and Liverpool Canal passes on the west. The church of St. Barnabas, standing on an eminence and erected previously in 1552, was enlarged in 1740, 1829 and 1867; it now consists of chancel, nave and transepts; the church was restored in 1876 and 1898: there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1833, all entries prior to that date being registered at Leyland. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £330, including glebe and residence, in the gift of the vicar of Leyland, and held since 1910 by the Reverend David Smith Bennard, B.A., of London University. Lady Sinclair, the trustees of Mrs. Paulet and Mrs. Sumner Mayhew are the principal landowners. The soil is of a mixed nature, partly light and clayey; subsoil, stone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The area is 1,466 acres (6 km2), of which 31 acres (130,000 m2) are water; rateable value £6,330; the population of the township in 1921 was 515, and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911 2,405. Sexton Edward Hunt"
"HEAPEY, a township and chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Chorley, on the road to Blackburn; the township containing 496 inhabitants. This place was held by the De Ollertons, of whom Ranulph De Ollerton assumed the name of Hepay in the reign of John. Robert de Hepay, in the 28th of Edward I., sold the lordship to one of the Standishes, and the manor or lordship has remained from that time in the Standish family. The township comprises 939 acres, chiefly pasture, and including about 200 acres of moorland. There are an extensive bleaching concern, and a stone-quarry. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through. The chapelry contains also the township of Wheelton: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Leyland; net income, £150, with a house, built in 1845. The chapel was enlarged in 1844, at an expense of £700: near it is a national school, and there is another at White Coppice. In January, 1835, a large number of Roman coins were discovered, chiefly of brass, with some of silver, and many of them in excellent preservation."
From: Samuel A. Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 456-459. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51019 Date accessed: 09 March 2011.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Index for the Census may be searched at FamilySearch Historical Records
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53014 British History online Heapey