Help:Adding Basic Tables to an Article
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 19:47, 2 March 2010 by DespainMA
Quick Reference: Click on the icon on the editor toolbar. Type in the number of desired rows and columns. To create tables in Wiki text or HTML, read the advanced tables article.
What you should know before creating a table
- Tables that were created in other programs can be imported into the Wiki, however, the process for doing so is time intensive and advanced. It may take less time to re-create a table than to import an existing table into the Wiki.
- Detailed instructions for beginning users are available online at the FCK editor website.
How to create a table in an article
- Log in to the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Navigate to the page where you want to insert the table. This may be done by typing the title of the article in the search box, and clicking the Search button.
- Click Edit in the navigation bar page options. This will open the editing window.
- In the editing window, locate and click on the "Tables" icon on the editing toolbar:
- After clicking on the "Tables" icon, the "Table Properties" window will appear (shown below).
- In the "Table Properties" window, type in the number of rows and columns you want to add to your table. Include the width and height, as needed. These may also be adjusted later.
- Click OK. This will return you to the editing window where you may re-size and add text to the table.
- To resize the table, position your cursor on the edge of the table in the editing window, and left click on the table with your mouse.
- After clicking on the table, tiny square boxes will appear on the corners, and center edges of the table. To resize, position your cursor over one of the boxes until your cursor turns into a double-sided arrow. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the edge of the table to the desired size.
- NOTE: When typing text in the table cells, the cells will automatically re-size to the size of the text, shrinking other cells. To expand the other cells, simply type text in those cells, or insert images in those cells. Each column will resize based on the widest text or image in the column.
- Save changes. For additional information on creating and editing tables, please visit the FCK editor website or learn detailed information about editing tables in wikitext.