Help:Adding Images to Articles
| This help article will guide you as you edit in the Wiki. See Contributor Help for more help articles.|
Watch a video demonstration of how to add images to the wiki.
To insert an image in an article, the image must first be submitted, approved, and uploaded to the FamilySearch Wiki. Any logged-in user can submit an image. Only Reviewers can approve images and upload them directly to the Wiki. __NORICHEDITOR__ There are two ways of inserting an approved image into an article in the FamilySearch Wiki.
- Inserting images using the editing tool
- Inserting images using wikitext
Inserting images using the editing tool
NOTE: Since the FCK Editor is no longer being used, the text in this section will give unreliable information. Please use the last section Inserting images using wikitext.
The image must first be uploaded to the Wiki before these instructions will work. Learn how to upload an image.
1. Locate the page where you want to insert the image by searching for it.
2. Click Edit on the page you want to insert the image into.
4. Locate the yellow icon on the toolbar at the top of the edit window. Click on the icons (shown below.)
5. The Image Properties window will appear:
6. Type the name of the image in the "Image file name" box. As you type the name, the search box below will list possible matches. When the correct title appears in the search box, click on the title in the "automatic search results" box. This will insert the correct title into the "Image file name" box.
|Note: If the image title does not appear in the "Automatic search results" box, the image may not have been uploaded to the Wiki yet. Learn how to upload an image or file prior to inserting the image into a specific article or page in the Wiki.|
7. In lower left-hand corner of the "Image Properties" window, click on the dropdown menu titled "Special Type" and click on Thumbnail to show a small version of the image on the page. (Users may click on the image to view a full version of the image.)
8. Next to Special Type, click on the drop-down menu titled "Align" to choose where on the page the image will appear: Left side, right side, or center.
9. In the "Image Properties" window, click OK to insert the image.
10. This will return you to the edit screen. The image should appear on the screen, but is not yet saved.
11. Scroll down to the bottom of the edit page, until you can see the button titled Save page.
|NOTE: You should see two scroll bars while in the editing mode. One is part of the editing window, and the other is on the far right-hand side of the computer screen. Use the Outside scroll bar to see the Save Page button.|
12. Type "Inserted Image" in the "Summary" box located below the edit window, and then click Save page.
13. The saved page will appear after clicking Save page. You should now see the image on the saved page. To see a larger version of the image, click on the image.
Inserting images using wikitext
1. Open up the image file that you intend to insert. Right under the image, the Name of the image is listed. Copy this name, because the exact name of the image must be used.
2. Open the article where you intend to insert the image.
3. You must be logged in.
4. Click the Edit this page button. Place the cursor in the edit window where you want the image inserted.
5. Type the following to insert a picture - First two opening square brackets, then the word File followed by a colon and the Name of the image, finally two closing square brackets. Example: [[File:My Picture]]
6. There are many ways to format the image on the page to make it look different, such as size, border, caption, which side of the page, above the text or below, etc. See Help:Images
7. When all the changes have been made, click Save page located below the edit window.