Help:Adding Images to Articles
| This help article will guide you as you edit in the Wiki. See Contributor Help for more help articles.|
Watch a video demonstration of how to add images to the wiki.
To insert an image in an article, the image must first be submitted, approved, and uploaded to the FamilySearch Wiki. Any logged-in user can submit an image. Only Reviewers can approve images and upload them directly to the Wiki.
An image file may be searched for by name like any article on the Family Search Research Wiki. Type the keyword(s) into the search box and hit the Enter button. A list of article shows, but look to the left and hit the Multimedia link. Now a list of image files shows. Scroll down to the one you want and open it.
__NORICHEDITOR__ There are two ways of inserting the uploaded image in the FamilySearch Wiki.
- Inserting images using the editing tool
- Inserting images using wikitext code
Inserting images using the editing tool
1. Locate the article that you want to insert the image file into.
2. Click Edit This Page at the top right of the page.
3. The Edit Window will now open. Click where you want the image located.
4. Locate the yellow icon on the toolbar at the top of the edit window. Click on the icons (shown below.)
5. The Image Properties window will appear:
6. Type the name of the image in the "Image file name" box. As you type the name, the search box below will list possible matches. When the correct title appears in the search box, click on the title in the "automatic search results" box. This will insert the correct title into the "Image file name" box.
|Note: If the image title does not appear in the "Automatic search results" box, the image may not have been uploaded to the Wiki yet. Learn how to upload an image or file prior to inserting the image into a specific article or page in the Wiki.|
7. In lower left-hand corner of the "Image Properties" window, click on the dropdown menu titled "Special Type" and click on Thumbnail to show a small version of the image on the page. (Users may click on the image to view a full version of the image.)
8. Next to Special Type, click on the drop-down menu titled "Align" to choose where on the page the image will appear: Left side, right side, or center.
9. In the "Image Properties" window, click OK to insert the image.
10. This will return you to the edit screen. The image should appear on the screen, but is not yet saved.
11. Scroll down to the bottom of the edit page, until you can see the button titled Save page.
|NOTE: You should see two scroll bars while in the editing mode. One is part of the editing window, and the other is on the far right-hand side of the computer screen. Use the Outside scroll bar to see the Save Page button.|
12. Type "Inserted Image" in the "Summary" box located below the edit window, and then click Save page.
13. The saved page will appear after clicking Save page. You should now see the image on the saved page. To see a larger version of the image, click on the image.
Inserting images using wikitext code
1) Open the image file to be inserted. Right under the image, the Name of the Image is listed. Copy this name, because the exact name of the image must be used.
2) Open the article where you intend to insert the image.
3) You must be logged into the Family Search Wiki.
4) Click the Edit This Page button. The Edit Window will open. Then Click in the edit window where you want the image inserted.
5) Type in the following - Two opening square brackets, then the word File followed by a colon and the Name of the Image, finally two closing square brackets. For example: [[File:Example.jpg]]
6) There are many ways to format the image on the page to make it look different, such as size, border, caption, which side of the page, above the text or below, etc. See Help:Images
7) When all the changes have been made, fill in an Edit Summary and click Save Page located below the edit window.