Help:Uploading Images and Files with Reviewer Rights
Load your own image -- or someone else's
Reviewers have the ability to upload their own images. If you are not a Reviewer, you will first need to have images approved for upload. Prior to uploading an image, a moderator should first be familiar with the Image Approval Policies to avoid violating FamilySearch Wiki image policies. To upload images or files (for example, PDF files) directly to the FamilySearch Research Wiki follow the steps below:
- Under "Toolbox," in the sidebar, click "Special pages."
- In the list, scroll down to the heading "Media reports and uploads," and click on the topic "Upload file."
- If you are a Reviewer, you will be directed to a page titled, Upload File.
- Click "Browse" to locate the image or file on your computer.
- After clicking on the "Browse" button, a window will open titled "Choose file." By default, this window will open your "My Pictures" folder on your computer. If the image you want to upload is located in the "My Pictures" folder, scroll down to locate the image, click on the image, and then click the "Open" button at the bottom of the window. [NOTE: If the image or file you want to upload is not located in the "My Pictures" folder, click the dropdown arrow next to the the words "My Pictures" in the box at the top of the page. You will then be able to browse through your computer to locate the image you want to upload by clicking on the image and then clicking the "Open" button.]
- After clicking the "Open" button, you will be directed back to the Upload File page in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- (Optional but recommended:) Change the "Destination Filename" as needed so that the image or file will have the desired title in the Wiki, but DO NOT delete the file extension off of the name. For example, if you are changing the name from Pic123.jpg, you may change the name to Anything.jpg, but the image will not upload if you change the name to Anything. The .jpg or ,png, etc., must be included in the "Destination Filename."
- After changing the destination filename (if necessary), type in a "Summary" for the image. Include the author's name when possible. Remember, you must have full rights to the image, or it must be under the Creative Commons license or in the public domain to legally add it to the Wiki.
- After typing information in the summary, you are ready to upload the image. Click "Upload file."
- To attach the image to an article or page, see Insert an uploaded image in an article.
- Moderators who answer Research Support e-mail for FamilySearch can also upload images that wiki contributors submit through the Upload file link in the navigation bar. The process in this article applies whether the moderator loads his own images or someone else's.