From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 20:12, 1 September 2011 by Evancol
- Welcome to the Wiki community. Whether you are researching or contributing, the items below will help you get started.
- On the left side of the page, you may see a purple navigation box with a Table of Contents in it. You can click on any heading in that table and be taken to that heading on the page.
- On the right side of every page, you will see a purple navigation menu. The Toolbox, Community and Personal Tools boxes expand by clicking on the small arros on the right side of the name.
Registering on the Wiki
- You do not need to be registered to look at any Wiki article. However, if you want to add information, or ask a question, you must register. If you are signed in the Wiki, it will timeout after 2 hours idle.
Setting Your Preferences
- You can customize your Wiki experience using your Personal Tools.
- The User Page is where you have the opportunity to share information about yourself, or your research interests. This is a great way to get to know a little about a contributor to an article, or even find someone with the same interests. It also gives other users a way to communicate with you.
Watching a Page
- If you are researching in a specific area, or have a page that interests you, you may want to "Watch" that page. If you are watching a page, you will be notified any time that page is edited. This is a great way to keep up with the latest information available.
- This feature allows you to determine how you are notified when there are changes to pages you are watching.
- All Wiki articles will have an associated Discussion Page that you can access via a tab at the top left of your page. This page is where you leave a comment or question about the content of that page.
- If you have a research question, or a question about editing the Wiki, ask it at the FamilySearch Forums. There are genealogists to help you with a research item, and very experienced Wiki users to help with an editing question.
- If you are ready to begin, you can choose one of the links below if you would like detailed instructions on the Wiki.