Henry County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Henry County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Henry County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||May 15, 1821|
|Address|| Henry County Courthouse|
345 Phillips Drive
McDonough, GA 30253-3425
Henry County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1821
1821--Henry County was created 15 May 1821 from Creek Indian Lands. County seat: McDonough 
1824 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Henry County Marriage Contracts found in deeds, documents, etc. Georgia Pioneers
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills and Bonds 1822-1834 (digital images). See nams of testa Georgia Pioneers
- Wills 1834-1869 (digital images) .georgiapioneers.com/counties/countyhenry.html Georgia Pioneers *$)
- Index to Wills and Bons, 1822-1834 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Wills, Book A, 1834-1869 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Wills, Book B, 1867-1896 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1822-1851 - Henry County Marriage Index 1822-1851. Batch M713061 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - Henry County Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M713062 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - Henry County Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M734973 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - Henry County Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M734974 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1892 - Henry County Marriage Index 1885-1892. Batch M713063 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1895 - Henry County Marriage Index 1885-1895. Batch M713065 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1895 - Henry County Marriage Index 1886-1895. Batch M713064 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Henry County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Henry County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.