Hereford Cathedral, Herefordshire Genealogy
The city comprises the parishes of All Saints, containing 3091;St Martin, 1069; St John the Baptist, 1303; St Nicholas, 1182; St Owen, 1755; and St. Peter, 2521 inhabitants. The chapel of All Saints' was consolidated with that of St Martin's. The Cathedral church of St Mary's and St Ethelbert is an ancient structure. St Martin's church, which was situated on the south bank of the river, near the bridge, was destroyed during the parliamentary war. The present church was consecrated in October 1845. The chapel of St John the Baptist's comprised the west nave of (and was built-in and a portion of) the cathedral, and was appropriated as a church by 1638 for this ancient parish till the accidental fall of its (the Cathedral's) tower, in 1786. As of 1848, the north transept was used for worship purposes.
The church of St Nicholas was constructed by at least the year 1556. The church, previous to the Dissolution, had two chantries in honour of the Virgin.
The church of St. Owen's is a rectory by 1628, and was united to the vicarage and church of St. Peter's (1556). St. Owen's was situated without the walls of the city, was destroyed during the parliamentary war. On its site, a neat school-house, which is also used as a chapel of ease, was erected in the 1840's. The church of St. Peter, founded in 1070, was repaired and partly rebuilt in 1793. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288820.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Herefordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 482-491. Adapted. Date accessed: 13 February 2013.