Hertford County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Hertford County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
|Founded||December 12, 1754|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Hertford County Courthouse
King Street P O Box 36
Winton, NC 27986
Courthouse burned 1832 and 1862
Register of Deeds has birth and death records and burial records from 1913
marriage records from 1884 and land records from 1866
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1883
and probate records rec from 1869 
1830, 1862--Courthouse fires destroyed the majority of the county's records.
For tips on accessing Hertford County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
Church of England
- St. John's Chapel. Established by 1782.
The first court was held at Cotton's Ferry.
- The colonial and state political history of Hertford County, N.C (1906) - by Benjamin Brodie Winborne; freely available at OpenLibrary
Early migration routes to and from Hertford County for European settlers included:
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Hertford County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1830-1963 - Will Books A to G (1830-1963) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hertford County, North Carolina. Page 509 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:478, 488. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:488. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.