Difference between revisions of "Highland County, Virginia Genealogy"
|Line 8:||Line 8:|
== History ==
== History ==
==== Parent County ====
==== Parent County ====
Revision as of 20:46, 18 May 2010
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county takes its name from its elevation in the Appalachian Mountains.
The Genealogy Center at Allen County Public Library (Indiana) has a number of searchable databases of Highland County cemeteries:
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Arbogast] Arbogast: Family Genealogy. Records, Clark County Genealogical Society, Marshall, Ill. FHL US/CAN Film 1305153 Item 6.
- [Bodkin] Botkin, Gerald N. and Paul W. Botkin. Botkin Family in America. Typescript, 1972. FHL US/CAN Film 982106 Item 5.
- [Calhoun] Calhoun, Garry L. Calhoun. Typescript. FHL US/CAN Film 1206299 Item 13.
- [Douglas] Swiger, Elizabeth Davis, Edward E. Morton and Ronald V. Hardway. History and Family Record of the Morton Family of Webster County, West Virginia: The Continuing Story. Grafton, W. Va.: Mountain Heritage Genealogy Society, 1984. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M846s.
- [Givens] Parr, Perry Louis. Givens Family Genealogy. MSS., FHL 982306.
- [Holl] See Hull.
- [Hull] Hull, Eugene F. Three Hull Brothers. n.p.: E.F. Hull, 1986. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 H877he.
- [Morton] Morton, Edward E. Family Record and History of the Morton Family: of Webster County, West Virginia. [Fairmont, W. Va.]: E.D. Swiger, 1960. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 A1 no. 1507.
- [Morton] Swiger, Elizabeth Davis, Edward E. Morton and Ronald V. Hardway. History and Family Record of the Morton Family of Webster County, West Virginia: The Continuing Story. Grafton, W. Va.: Mountain Heritage Genealogy Society, 1984. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M846s.
- [Morton] Swiger, Elizabeth Davis and Edward E. Morton. History of the Morton Family of Webster County, West Virginia, Supplement Three. Fairmount, W. Va.: E.D. Swiger, 1988. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M846s supp. 3.
- [Slavin] Slaven, F.L. The Descendents of John Slaven from Tyrone County, Ireland and Elizabeth Stuart from Scotland. New Orleans, La.: F.L. Slaven, 196-?. FHL US/CAN Film 1307569 Item 2.
- [Slavin] Slavens, Thomas H. The Descendants of John Slavin from County Tyrone, Ireland. Typescript, National Library of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, D.C. FHL US/CAN Film 875379 Item 6.
- [Slavin] Slavens-Slaven-Slavin and Allied Families, ca. 1723-1941. MSS., Family Records Collection, Barrett Memorial Library, Petersburg, Ind.: Slav. FHL 1451835 Item 1.
- [Stevenson] Hammond, Howard Revercomb and Milton Rubincam. Revercomb Family Papers. 1969. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 R323r; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Weybright] Weybright, Jessie P. Genealogy of Martin Weybrecht, Bavaria 1689 - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 1732: Weybright, Waybright, also Martin Weybright, Highland County, Virginia, 1800. FHL US/CAN Film 1036852 Item 4.
- [Wimer] Hinkle, Don Philip. Weimer Genealogical Center (Albuquerque, N.M.). The Wimer Family #189. 2 vols. Albuquerque, N.M.: Weimer Genealogical Center, 1992. FHL US/CAN Film 2055537 Items 1-2.
- [Zigenfuss] Zickefoose, Larry C., Clayton H. Sigerfoos, and W.J. Sickafus. From Zigenfuss to Zickefoose, 1739-1990. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1990. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 Z61z.
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A Handbook of Highland County and a Supplement to Pendleton and Highland History. Monterey, Va.: Highland Recorder, 1922. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A History of Highland County, Virginia. Monterey, Va.: Morton, c1911. Original edition available at FHL; 1979 reprint with index available at FHL; digital version of original edition at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- Hamilton, Clay. "Genealogical Research in Highland County," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 29, No. 3 (June 2003):1-2. Available at FHL; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
- Fridley, Beth, comp. Highland County Virginia Birth Records, 1853-1896 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).