Highland County, Virginia Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county takes its name from its elevation in the Appalachian Mountains.
- Lost census: 1890
The Genealogy Center at Allen County Public Library (Indiana) has a number of searchable databases of Highland County cemeteries:
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Arbogast] Arbogast: Family Genealogy. Records, Clark County Genealogical Society, Marshall, Ill. FHL Collection 1305153 Item 6
- [Bodkin] Botkin, Gerald N. and Paul W. Botkin. Botkin Family in America. Typescript, 1972. FHL Collection 982106 Item 5
- [Calhoun] Calhoun, Garry L. Calhoun. Typescript. FHL Collection 1206299 Item 13
- [Douglas] Swiger, Elizabeth Davis, Edward E. Morton and Ronald V. Hardway. History and Family Record of the Morton Family of Webster County, West Virginia: The Continuing Story. Grafton, W. Va.: Mountain Heritage Genealogy Society, 1984. FHL Collection 929.273 M846s
- [Givens] Parr, Perry Louis. Givens Family Genealogy. MSS., FHL Collection 982306
- [Holl] See Hull.
- [Hull] Hull, Eugene F. Three Hull Brothers. n.p.: E.F. Hull, 1986. FHL Collection 929.273 H877he
- [Morton] Morton, Edward E. Family Record and History of the Morton Family: of Webster County, West Virginia. [Fairmont, W. Va.]: E.D. Swiger, 1960. FHL Collection 929.273 A1 no. 1507
- [Morton] Swiger, Elizabeth Davis, Edward E. Morton and Ronald V. Hardway. History and Family Record of the Morton Family of Webster County, West Virginia: The Continuing Story. Grafton, W. Va.: Mountain Heritage Genealogy Society, 1984. FHL Collection 929.273 M846s
- [Morton] Swiger, Elizabeth Davis and Edward E. Morton. History of the Morton Family of Webster County, West Virginia, Supplement Three. Fairmount, W. Va.: E.D. Swiger, 1988. FHL Collection 929.273 M846s supp. 3
- [Slavin] Slaven, F.L. The Descendents of John Slaven from Tyrone County, Ireland and Elizabeth Stuart from Scotland. New Orleans, La.: F.L. Slaven, 196-?. FHL Collection 1307569 Item 2
- [Slavin] Slavens, Thomas H. The Descendants of John Slavin from County Tyrone, Ireland. Typescript, National Library of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, D.C. FHL Collection 875379 Item 6
- [Slavin] Slavens-Slaven-Slavin and Allied Families, ca. 1723-1941. MSS., Family Records Collection, Barrett Memorial Library, Petersburg, Ind.: Slav. FHL Collection 1451835 Item 1
- [Stevenson] Hammond, Howard Revercomb and Milton Rubincam. Revercomb Family Papers. 1969. FHL Collection 929.273 R323r; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Weybright] Weybright, Jessie P. Genealogy of Martin Weybrecht, Bavaria 1689 - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 1732: Weybright, Waybright, also Martin Weybright, Highland County, Virginia, 1800. Microfilmed 1977. FHL Collection 1036852 Item 4
- [Wimer] Hinkle, Don Philip. Weimer Genealogical Center (Albuquerque, N.M.). The Wimer Family #189. 2 vols. Albuquerque, N.M.: Weimer Genealogical Center, 1992. FHL Collection 2055537 Items 1-2
- [Zigenfuss] Zickefoose, Larry C., Clayton H. Sigerfoos, and W.J. Sickafus. From Zigenfuss to Zickefoose, 1739-1990. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1990. FHL Collection 929.273 Z61z
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A Handbook of Highland County and a Supplement to Pendleton and Highland History. Monterey, Va.: Highland Recorder, 1922. FHL Collection; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A History of Highland County, Virginia. Monterey, Va.: Morton, c1911. Original edition: FHL Collection; 1979 reprint with index: FHL Collection; digital versions of original edition at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Highland County, p. 86. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Hamilton, Clay. "Genealogical Research in Highland County," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 29, No. 3 (June 2003):1-2. FHL Collection; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
- Fridley, Beth, comp. Highland County Virginia Birth Records, 1853-1896 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).