Highland County, Virginia Genealogy
Virginia county in the Shenandoah Valley region.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county takes its name from its elevation in the Appalachian Mountains.
- Lost census: 1890
The Genealogy Center at Allen County Public Library (Indiana) has a number of searchable databases of Highland County cemeteries:
Tombstone Transcription Project Highland County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
More than 15 genealogies have been published about Highland County families. To view a list, visit Highland County, Virginia Genealogy.
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A Handbook of Highland County and a Supplement to Pendleton and Highland History. Monterey, Va.: Highland Recorder, 1922. FHL Collection; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A History of Highland County, Virginia. Monterey, Va.: Morton, c1911. Original edition: FHL Collection; 1979 reprint with index: FHL Collection; digital versions of original edition at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Highland County, p. 86. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Hamilton, Clay. "Genealogical Research in Highland County," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 29, No. 3 (June 2003):1-2. FHL Collection; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
- Fridley, Beth, comp. Highland County Virginia Birth Records, 1853-1896 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).