Hinckley, Leicestershire Genealogy
Other places in the parish include: Wykin, Hinckley with Hinckley Bond, and Hinckley Bond.
Hinckley Holy Trinity, Leicestershire (with St John the Evangelist ) was formed from this parish as a district church
Hinckley St Paul was also formed from this parish. Leicester Road. Intended as a chapel-of-ease to St. Mary's, the parish church. At the county record office (DE/1225/180/1-3) are three sheets of designs, dated 20 June 1911, for a 'Sunday School building to be used as a temporary church until a permanent church is built'. These are by Edward de Wilde Holding of the Corn Exchange, Northampton. They comprise a ground plan, south elevation and two sections.
The church was opened on 10 June 1911. 'The new church, dedicated by the name of the apostle St. Paul, has been erected to supply a want which is being increasingly felt in the rapidly developing district in the north-east portion of St. Mary's parish. The building is to serve the dual purpose of a Sunday school and temporary church, until a permanent church is erected. As a Sunday school it will provide accommodation for about 300 scholars, and when used as a church it will seat a similar number. The accommodation in the present Sunday schools is for 604 scholars, whilst there are now 650 on the books... a desire that something quite apart from the ordinary iron building should be adopted in this instance, and the architect, Mr E. de W. Holding, with much ingenuity, has succeeded in erecting a church temporary only in name for the structure is built of local bricks of a pleasing red colour, and the whole of the roof area is covered with slates of a good wearing quality.
In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hinckley like this:
Hinckley, market town, par., and township, with ry. sta. partly in Warwickshire. but chiefly in S. Leicestershire, 14½ miles SW. of Leicester--par., 6190 ac., pop. 8934; township and town, pop. 7673; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Monday. Hinckley is an ancient town, on the line of Watling Street. It was made a barony soon after the Conquest. The chief object of interest is the Gothic church of St Mary, which has been restored. Hosiery is the staple trade, but there is also a thriving industry in the mfr. of boots and shoes. Interesting Roman relics abound in and about the town.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Deposited records are found at the Leicester and Rutland Record Office
Contact: The Record Office
Telephone: 0116 2571080
Fax: 0116 2571120
Diocese of Leicester: Hinckley St Mary Bap 1554 - 1939 Marr 1554 – 1991 (Banns to1990) Bur 1554 - 1905
Hinckley St Paul Bap 1911 - 1939 This building was used for worship until its demolition in about 1994, the proposed permanent church never having been built. Private housing now occupies the site.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.