Hollinfare, Lancashire Genealogy
Hollinfare St Helen was created a chapel of ease by 1654, in the township of Rixton cum Glazebrook; it later became an ecclesiatical parish [or chapelry] in Warrington parish. Hollingfare was historically within the Winwick deanery Diocese of Chester and later part of the Diocese of Liverpool. It is part of the Winwick deanery in the modern Diocese of Liverpool and forms a united benefice with Warrington All Saints.
RIXTON, with Glazebrook, a township with a chapel erected in 1835, and laying within the parish and union of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 5½ miles east by north from Warrington. Hollin's Green, formerly called Hollingfare or Hollinferry, is a rural village in the township, on the bank of the river; and gives name to the chapelry.
The Roman Catholics have a place of worship here.
The priests’ board fixed to the north wall shows a chantry chapel was established on this site by the then Lord of the Manor of Rixton, Hamlet Mascy, in 1497. A daughter church of St Elphin in Warrington, it was dedicated to St Helen, that church’s original patron saint.
It was extensively rebuilt in the 1700's and had subsequent restoration in the 1870's before establishment as a parish Church.
The cupola bell tower dates the rebuilding it was not until 1778 that the bell was installed. It is inscribed John Wright.
Due to its proximity to the historic county of Cheshire and ecclesiastical link to Chester Diocese confusion arises as to which county it belongs to. Although often described as part of Cheshire it was always in the county of Lancashire. Winwick is a village and civil parish in the borough of Warrington. Until 1 April 1974, Winwick was administered as part of Lancashire with the rest of north Warrington. Since then it is part of the ceremonial county of Cheshire.
These County boundary changes were to make Warrington non-contiguous with Lancashire, under the local government reforms of 1974, Warrington, incorporating Lymm Urban District and part of Runcorn Rural District from Cheshire, and part of Warrington Rural District, was made a borough within Cheshire County Council.
On April 1, 1998 Warrington became an independent unitary authority, though it is still served by Cheshire Police and Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, and forms part of Cheshire for ceremonial purposes, such as the Lord Lieutenancy. The current borders of Warrington Borough cover the former County Borough of Warrington, Lymm Urban District, Warrington Rural District and part of Golborne Urban District, part of Runcorn Rural District and part of Whiston Rural District.
registration events for Hollinfare St Helens may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
Church of England
Hollinfare chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Warrington to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|HOLLINFARE ST HELEN Chapelry (1654) Indexes|
|LOPC||1754-1757, 1813-1838||None||1753-1756, 1813-1838|
|WARRINGTON ST ELPHIN(ancient parish containing HOLLINFARE Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Hollinfare and comprising the whole ancient parish of Warrington to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the WARRINGTON ST ELPHIN PARISH page.
Cheshire Record Office reference P 295 Hollinfare Parish Date 17th century - 20th century Description Registers: Christenings 1654-1953, Marriages 1654-1987, Burials 1654-1943. Records other than registers 1755-1981
Parish registers, 1659-1900 Microfilm of typescripts in possession of Archives Centre, Salford.Includes indexes by name, place, and occupation. Hollinfare is a chapelry in the parish of Warrington. The name of the church is St. Helen's.
|Parish Registers Content||FHL Film|
|Baptismal registers, 1659-1872. Marriage registers, 1875-1900. Burial registers, 1709-1890.||BRITISH 1786533 Items 2-6|
Bishop's transcripts for Hollinfare, 1800-1870 Hollinfare is a chapelry in the parish of Warrington. Microfilm of original records in the Lancashire Record Office, Preston, England.
|Bishop's Transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, burials, 1800-1813, 1815-1838.||BRITISH 1469048 Item 4|
|Hollinfare: Baptisms, burials, 1839-1856, 1858-1870. Padgate: Baptisms, burials, 1841, 1846-1861.||BRITISH 1469049 Item 1|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306907.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Poor Law Union
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
http://www.liverpool.anglican.org/index.php?p=390 Winwick Deanery Diocese of Liverpool
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_churches_in_Cheshire List of Churches in Cheshire
- Samuel A. Lewis',A Topographical Dictionary of England&amp;nbsp;(1848), pp. 679-686. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51241 Adapted. Date accessed: 09 March 2011.