Hollinfare, Lancashire Genealogy
Hollinfare St Helen was a chapelry in the township of Rixton cum Glazebrook; later an ecclesiatical parish in Warrington parish. Hollingrake was historically within the Winwick deanery Diocese of Chester and later part of the Diocese of Liverpool. It is part of the Winwick deanery in the modern Diocese of Liverpool and forms a united benefice with Warrington All Saints.
HOLLINFARE, a chapelry in Warrington parish, Lancashire; on the river Mersey, 2 miles N of Heatley and Warburton r. station, and 6 ENE of Warrington. Post town, Warburton, under Warrington. Pop., 752. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £136. Patron, the Rector of Warrington.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
The priests’ board fixed to the north wall shows a chantry chapel was established on this site by the then Lord of the Manor of Rixton, Hamlet Mascy, in 1497. A daughter church of St Elphin in Warrington, it was dedicated to St Helen, that church’s original patron saint.
It was extensively rebuilt in the 1700's and had subsequent restoration in the 1870's before establishment as a parish Church.
The cupola bell tower dates the rebuilding it was not until 1778 that the bell was installed. It is inscribed John Wright.
Due to its proximity to the historic county of Cheshire and ecclesiastical link to Chester Diocese confusion arises as to which county it belongs to. Although often described as part of Cheshire it was always in the county of Lancashire. Winwick is a village and civil parish in the borough of Warrington. Until 1 April 1974, Winwick was administered as part of Lancashire with the rest of north Warrington. since then it is part of the ceremonial county of Cheshire.
These County boundary changes were to make Warrington non-contiguous with Lancashire, under the local government reforms of 1974, Warrington, incorporating Lymm Urban District and part of Runcorn Rural District from Cheshire, and part of Warrington Rural District, was made a borough within Cheshire County Council.
On April 1, 1998 Warrington became an independent unitary authority, though it is still served by Cheshire Police and Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, and forms part of Cheshire for ceremonial purposes, such as the Lord Lieutenancy. The current borders of Warrington Borough cover the former County Borough of Warrington, Lymm Urban District, Warrington Rural District and part of Golborne Urban District, part of Runcorn Rural District and part of Whiston Rural District.
registration events for Hollinfare St Helens may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
Parish registers, 1659-1900 Microfilm of typescripts in possession of Archives Centre, Salford.Includes indexes by name, place, and occupation. Hollinfare is a chapelry in the parish of Warrington. The name of the church is St. Helen's.
|Baptismal registers, 1659-1872 Marriage registers, 1875-1900 Burial registers, 1709-1890|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1786533 Items 2-6
Bishop's transcripts for Hollinfare, 1800-1870 Hollinfare is a chapelry in the parish of Warrington. Microfilm of original records in the Lancashire Record Office, Preston, England.
|Baptisms, burials, 1800-1813, 1815-1838.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1469048 Item 4
|Hollinfare: Baptisms, burials, 1839-1856, 1858-1870. Padgate: Baptisms, burials, 1841, 1846-1861|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1469049 Item 1
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.