Holmes County, Mississippi Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Holmes County Courthouse
PO Box 239;
Lexington, MS 39095
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce records from 1894,
probate and land records from 1833 and burial records.
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and court records. 
1884--A courthouse fire destroyed many of the records.
Lexington is the county seat located in the center of the county. Lexington is also the largest city in Holmes county.
Cruger and Tchula are on western side of the state. Cruger is the northern most city in Holmes county. Tchula is on the western border of the county and is connected to Lexington via the Tchula/Lexington highway (modern day hwy 12).
The cities that border the eastern edge of the county from the north to the south are West, Durant, Goodman, and Pickens. These cities follow stops on the Illinois Central railroad line. Durant is connected to Lexington via the Durant/Lexington highway (modern day highway 12).
Census records often reference these highways located between cities according to the city from which you are traveling towards the county seat of Lexington.
The largest population growth occured between the 1870's during the post-civil war era and 1910. Railways were numerous in the cotton economy of the mississippi delta region.
For tips on accessing Holmes County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
230 Swan Drive, Greenwood, MS 38930-6929
- Civil War service men from Holmes County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Holmes County.
Holmes County, MSGenWeb site has rosters for the various companies.
- - 1st Battalion, Mississippi Sharpshooters
- Company B - Red Rebels
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company D - Wofford’s Battery
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Kyle’s Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company C - Red Invincibles
- Company G - Nelson Grays
- - 12th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company F - Durant Rifles [also listed as Co. I]
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Holmes County, Mississippi page 379, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).