Difference between revisions of "Holmes County, Ohio Genealogy"
(Added other church repositories)
|Line 125:||Line 125:|
==== Court Records ====
==== Court Records ====
Revision as of 01:43, 27 April 2013
Guide to Holmes County Ohio genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Holmes County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Holmes County Courthouse|
1 East Jackson
Millesburg, Ohio 44654
Holmes County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Obituaries
- 2.19 Periodicals
- 2.20 Probate
- 2.21 Public Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 Taxation
- 2.24 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Coshocton, Tuscarawas, and Wayne Counties 20 January 1824.
- County Seat: Millersburg
- Neighboring Counties: Holmes County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Wayne (north) · Coshocton (south) · Licking (southwest) · Stark (northeast) · Knox (west) · Tuscarawas (east)
See an interactive map of Holmes County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Nashville Methodist Cemetery
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
See Ohio Cemeteries for more information.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Finding More Church Records
Additional church records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Holmes County, Ohio Genealogy Church Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Morgan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Morgan County.
- - 102nd Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies A and G
- - 166th Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National Guard), Companies A, I and K
Naturalization and Citizenship
Holmes County Courthouse
1 East Jackson Street
Millersburg, OH 44654
Probate Court has birth and death records 1867-1982,
marriage and probate records from 1825 and naturalization
records; Clerk Circuit has divorce and court records;
County Recorder has land and military records; County
Library has burial and census records
Family History Centers
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Wikipedia contributors, "Holmes County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).